Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 2010, Ready or not?

Well, here we are just 3 short days to go before Remy boards the plane for his 12-hour journey to Kentucky. Are we ready? Good question.
We’ve prepared as best as I know how. We’ve trained hard. I’ve ticked all the boxes, checked and double-checked all the requirements and regulations. I’ve talked with experts about the areas I’m not 100% on, like, what’s the best way to travel horses on a plane? I’ve never gone to a competition where my horse needed to go by plane. And poor Remy’s never gone anywhere we couldn’t get to by road or boat! But with the help of my friends I’ve all the knowledge and bits & pieces to make the flight as comfy for Remy as possible. We’re certainly organised.
But as for ready, well that’s something different.

There are many components & elements to riding a good international dressage test, so many in fact that to start to discuss them all in detail now would keep me typing for far longer than my insane schedule allows (I still have 2 horses to ride and 1 more lesson to give today and it’s already nearly 5pm!).  Most of these elements I’ve been working on for over half my life now, seat, feeling etc. Started back home in Ireland and now for almost 8 years here in Germany. I know what I’m doing when I’m up there, and Remy knows his job just as well; we do it here in front of one of the biggest dressage perfectionists I’ve ever known, Patrick. And Johann Hinneman knows a thing or two as well ;) and without thinking about it we can ride all the parts of an excellent test, a test definitely worthy of qualification to the GP Special at WEG.
With Remy’s help I won my goldenes reit-abezeichen from the German FN. And at this stage we have enough wins at national shows to have three of them! But, like I said in my first blog; there’s a grand canyon between riding over 70% GP at national and international competitions.

Remy is an unbelievable horse. When we’re riding at home or at a competition it’s like he’s an extension of me. He’s so in tune with how I’m feeling and what I’m doing that it’s so important for me to remember, no matter how I feel when we’re in the ring he’s feeling it just as much. He relies on me for confidence and sureness. And when he’s feeling confident you should see him go!
But, like a carpenter who gets distracted and hits the wrong nail, if I don’t stay focused we pay the price. And that’s what it comes down to. Focus.  Well, focus, staying loose and countless other things..

We’ve been working hard since my first blog for the games. It’s important when competition time comes that I know I’ve done everything I can to prepare as thoroughly as possible. There are a handful of movements that can still be improved upon and as Remy is still only 12 we have time to reach our peak. What is important for now is that we go to WEG and do more than just doing ourselves justice. There are many people who have helped me get to where I am, and I want to make them proud. People like my parents Joe & Kathleen, Patrick my partner, Johann and other previous trainers, Lorraine Cassidy a friend and confidant, Dressage Ireland and Horse Sport Ireland. I will be wearing the Irish flag on my tails and Remy will have the green white and gold on his saddlecloth.

I’ve obviously been thinking a lot about WEG, and as I might have mentioned whether or not we are ready. Are we ready to do the best test Remy and I will ever do? No. It’s a little over 1 year since Remy did his first GP and I’ve only slightly more experience at this level than him. Our best test ever is the goal for London 2012.
Are we ready to do the best test that we can do right now? What will hopefully be our best performance at international GP? When my start time arrives on the 27th or 28th of September at the World Equestrian Games?
Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment